Knock Knock!

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Knock, knock!  Who's there?  My cool front door!


I'm a little obsessed with this thing.  It started out kind of blah:


It was a generic stained door that had seen better days.  I could have sanded it down and restained it, but I kind of have a thing for painted doors.  Plus, I live in Florida now and you can do stuff like paint your front doors funky colors.

My inspiration came from a green J. Crew skirt of mine from a couple of years ago.  I obviously blogged about this skirt at some point, because the photo was already uploaded.

After pulling a couple of samples that were dead on with the skirt, I still wasn't satisfied.  The skirt had a lot of blue in it, and I was drawn to the more pure green samples.  The ultimate winner?  Paradise of Greenery by Behr.  


A quart of Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Exterior Paint & Primer in One in Semi-Gloss was just the right amount to cover the front of the door (it took 3-4 coats to get it looking the way I wanted) and I still have leftovers for touch-ups.  

I decided to go with black accessories - door knocker, house numbers, and mail box - to compliment the black handrails and metalwork on the overhang.  My parents generously gifted me an Andersen 3000 storm door (currently en route) that will also have dark hardware.  Ultimately, I'm going to swap out the brass lock and knob currently on the door for a black/oil rubbed bronze finish, but that's a problem for Future Elizabeth to deal with.  Present Elizabeth is too busy humming the theme song to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heroes in a halfshell - TURTLE POWER!).

3 comments:

  1. I just got this for my door! I haven't got to paint it yet. I got it because my coworker said to get the color of my green pea coat. The next lighter color was Clover but this would be perfect for my door.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!