Weak in the Beams

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The foundation inspection was today.  It did not go well.  I'm so bummed.

Basically, 2/3 of the sill beams on the right side and 1/3 of the sill beams on the left side are severely damaged and in need of immediate repair.  $7,000 worth.

The center beam was also shored up at some point with some additional piers and 2x4s.  This is not the proper way to do this and it also needs to be fixed, though my understanding is that this can wait a little longer.  That'll be another $7,000.

In all, that's $14,000 just in foundation repairs.  That doesn't include the wood rot previously mentioned or any difference between the appraisal and the contract price.  The appraisal was conducted today, but apparently, the house is difficult to appraise due to the lack of good comps.  The appraiser knows we absolutely have to have the appraisal by Friday morning.  I'm hoping to have it before then, though, so we have time to go back and forth with the seller.  I'm not ready to walk away yet, but I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for that possibility.

Stay tuned.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!