Bowheads

Saturday, August 11, 2012

One of my bosses is having a little girl at the end of November (okay, both of my bosses are, since it's a husband-and-wife team) and part of my job duties for next spring include being their nanny/law clerk (best. job. ever.).  While I am nowhere near ready for a tater tot of my own, I'm super ready to shower this sweet baby girl with love, affection, and most of all, hair bows.

When I was little, my mom made sure I was a bona fide "bowhead."  I had plaid bows to match my school jumpers, I had satin bows to wear to church, I had bows for every holiday imaginable.

[Easter 1989]

I don't remember how or where my mother stored my bows, but I've seen super cute personalized options online.  While I don't know for sure what the color scheme for Baby Girl's nursery is, I'm pretty sure pink is always a safe bet.  So I headed down to my local Michael's and picked up the supplies to make this:


Want to make one?  It's pretty easy!

Start with the following:
1. A wooden craft letter.  I got mine at Michael's for $3.99 and it was already painted white.
2. A piece of scrapbook paper.  (16¢ at Michael's)
3. Modge Podge (I used Matte finish)
4. Ribbon (Length depends on how long you want the bow holders to be.  Mine are 18 inches, excluding the decorative bows at the bottom).
5. Hot glue
6. X-acto knife
7. Scissors
8. Sandpaper
9. Paint (optional)

That's it.

If you want to paint the edges of your letter (if, for example, white doesn't work with your paper or your letter is unfinished), do that first and let the paint dry.  Otherwise, start by turning your scrapbook paper face-down and your wooden letter on the back of the paper, also face-down.  Carefully trace around the letter with your X-acto knife.  I put down my self-healing quilting mat to cut so I wouldn't scratch my table.  If you have a self-healing mat, I'd use it.


Turn the paper and letter back over and carefully punch out the letter.  If there are places you missed with the knife, you can try to freehand the cuts (which is what I did) or turn the letter and paper back over and go back over the spots with the letter as your guide.

Take your Modge Podge and coat your letter.  Carefully position your paper on the letter and smooth out any bubbles.


Wait 15-20 minutes (or 5 if you're impatient like me).  Gently rub the edges of the letter with sandpaper to smooth off any spots where your paper didn't line up perfectly with your letter.

Swipe another coat of Modge Podge over the paper to seal the letter.  Let it dry.


While the Modge Podge is drying, go ahead and measure and cut your ribbons and plug in your hot glue gun.  Be sure to add about three extra inches to the length of your ribbons so you can glue them to the letter.


Once the Modge Podge has dried, hot glue your ribbon to the back of the letter.  Don't be stingy with the hot glue, since you don't want the ribbons to fall off.  I had about 4 inches of ribbon glue to the back.

For a nice, polished finish, add some "faux bows" to the bottom of the ribbon.


I call them "faux bows" because they aren't actually ribbons tied into bows but four pieces glued together.  I made a loop with the ribbon and glued it together, then glued a band around the middle and two little tails to the bottom.  It makes for a much neater finish.  Glue that bow to the end of the ribbons and there you go!  A custom bow-holder, perfect for your nursery...or your bosses'!

Have you made a bow holder of your own?  Were you a bowhead as a kid?  Tell me about it!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I was a fellow 'bowhead' until the fourth grade!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!