cupcake sliders

Sunday, February 5, 2012


I went to an old fashioned, girls' night sleepover last night.  The birthday girl and I share a love of terrible food - Dixie Cafe, mini hamburgers, perhaps even Taco Bell.  All those delicious foods that you are embarrassed to admit that you like.  So what better food to take to the sleepover than 24 cupcakes masquerading as mini hamburgers, a.k.a. sliders?  Want to make these yourself?  They're crazy easy and really fun looking.  Plus they're cheap - this whole venture cost me less than $20.

Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow)
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil's Food)
Sesame seeds (find them in the spice/baking aisle)
Shredded coconut (also in the baking aisle)
Green liquid food coloring
Cocktail toothpicks - the ones with the little flags
Squeezable red and yellow frosting, 1 tube of each
Eggs - I used 6 (3 for each), but check the back of your cake mix box.
Vegetable Oil
Water

Instructions
1.  Bake the yellow cupcakes according to the directions on the box.  Don't use cupcake liners.  Instead, spray the cupcake tin with oil to allow for easy removal.  
2.  After removing from the oven, sprinkle your sesame seeds on top.  The heat will help them stick.
3.  Let them cool for about 10 minutes and then remove them from the tin.
4.  Cut the cupcakes in half and set them aside.  You've just made your buns.
5.  Bake the chocolate cupcakes according to the directions on the box.  Again, don't use cupcake liners and spray oil instead.
6.  While the "meat patties" are baking, pour some coconut shavings into a bowl and dye them.  I added one drop at a time and stirred with a fork (mostly because all my spoons were dirty), mixing the food coloring and the coconut until I got the color I wanted.  I think I used probably four or five drops.
7.  Remove the "meat patties" from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the tin.
8.  Cut them in half.  The tops are the best to use, since they look the most like grilled beef, but if some of your tops are too large for your buns (I ran into this problem), you can cheat and use the bottom halves of some of the smaller cupcakes as well.  Just eyeball it.
9.  Now you're ready to build your cupcakes!


10.  Place a "meat patty" on top of a "bun" and squeeze the red and yellow frosting onto the patty for ketchup and mustard.


11. Sprinkle the "lettuce" on top, making sure to get enough around the edges so it can be seen from the side.


12.  Top with a bun and skewer the "slider" with a frilly toothpick.  Voila!  You've got yourself a cupcake slider.

Easy, right?  People couldn't get over how realistic they looked.  Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. Oh now I am smitten!
    These are toooo cutey for words.
    Great little tutorial as well!

    Love and Hugs,
    Mrs. Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'll be trying it for sure. I just stumbled upon your blog and I think its wonderful! Now following!

    Emily :]
    http://thewideworldofe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!