Bulbs bulbs bulbs

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

If you've been following me for any length of time, you know I love flowers and gardening.  You also know my house was built in 1945.  Despite having been on this earth for 67 years, my yards (front and back) suck.  I've been tinkering with them since move in, rehabbing some of the plants my mother planted over 25 years ago that weren't cared for by the tenants that lived in the house over the past 20 years, and replacing some of the plants that were beyond help.

When putting together my garden, I want it to have an old Southern feel.  I want to capture the 67 years that the yards should have had.  That's why, instead of sea grasses and bonsai and other trendy, modern looking plants, I stick to the classics: azaleas, irises, roses, forsythia, crocuses, spirea, crepe myrtles, peonies...plants that are tried and true Southern performers.  Not only do they compliment the architecture of the house and the feel of the neighborhood, but they don't require as much attention as plants that aren't as well adapted to the climate.

My best source for flowers is my sweet granny.  About two years ago, she gave me tons of daffodils and irises from her garden, which she's been keeping since the 1960s.  She, in turn, got those flowers from friends and family, as well as bulb catalogues.  Some varieties are new, but others are old fashioned plants. I blogged about the irises in particular last year.

Adding to my bulb collection is something I love doing.  Today in class, instead of paying 100% attention to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct I ordered some bulbs from Old House Gardens (yeah, yeah, but it was three hours of "Thou Shalt Not"s - girlfriend was about to lose it, y'all).  Come April, I'll be the happy owner of:

Ola Kala Iris - Introduced in 1949

Madame Chereau - Introduced 1844 (!)
"The Most Sought After Iris of the 19th Century"

Autumn Red - Introduced 1941

Black Falcon - Introduced 1941

I'm really excited to be adding these classic beauties to my garden and I can't wait for April to come so I can pop these babies in the ground.  I won't get to enjoy them until next year, because they ship to me while dormant, but I'm really looking forward to them.  I think they'll compliment the existing varieties from my granny (which I'm still trying to identify).

Indian Chief (?) - 1929


What's new in your gardens?  I love looking at photos!  Share with me!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!