Joie de Vivre

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm back from my weekend trip to the fine state of Louisiana.  If you follow me on Twitter, you probably got a couple of updates about what I was up to as I was up to it.  If you don't, well, pas de problème.  I have a recap just for you, and it comes with pictures!

After pulling into town and grabbing dinner at CPK (yum!) with my BFF Big Pony and seeing Paul (super funny, just as I had thought), I crashed hard onto her air mattress.  We got up the next morning bright and early and took the town by storm.  We started out at Magnolia Mound Plantation on Nicholson.



(this guy will someday be this guy)


 
Then we went to the Castle, also known as the Old State House.



I didn't see Sarah Morgan, but the stained glass rotunda did remind me of La Sagrada Familia with all it's bright primary colors and Gothic decadence.  The movie about Sarah Morgan wasn't bad, worth the $3, and the exhibit on Huey P. Long was very well done.  Speaking of, after the Castle, we just had to go see Huey P. Long's replacement State House.  We didn't go in, just drove around before stumbling into Spanish Town (Baton Rouge's oldest neighborhood).


Big Pony and I have decided to buy a duplex in Spanish Town and decorate it with pink flamingos and green palm trees and, of course, lots and lots of Lilly.  After that, we grabbed some barbecue lunch at Voo Doo BBQ (I've definitely had better pulled pork, but the cole slaw and fries were good) and then stopped by and said hello to Mike the Tiger.  At that point, well, it was nap time for Biz.  I conked out for about two hours then managed to wake up enough for dinner and fro' yo'.

The next morning (ie. today), we had the BEST breakfast at LaLou.  Y'all, I'm not even kidding when I say it was DELICIOUS.  I had a caramel pecan pain perdu (basically French toast with caramel syrup and fresh cream and powdered sugar and just HEAVEN in breakfast form); Big Pony had a massive pancake.  The cafe au lait I ordered wasn't bad either, and the OJ was good and fresh.  Top notch breakfast location and I highly recommend it!

I parted ways with Big Pony at this point and headed back to Southern State.  On the way, I stopped off at the always beautiful Afton Villa.  I went when I was little and have remembered it fondly.  It's such an inspiration, and I'd love to be able to bring some of its beauty and elegance to my own garden, albeit on a much smaller scale and maybe with a little less formalism - no time to maintain a boxwood maze in my life!





(my new desktop photo)









That last photo is on my way out and back home.  It's not even 10 o'clock, but I think I'm going to take a hot bath and hit the hay - I'm exhausted!  I hope y'all had a wonderful weekend, too, and as always, I'd love to hear about it!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time honey! These are great photos.

    Did you hear about my good news? Kori xoxo

    http://www.blondeepisodes.com/2011/03/wordless-wednesday-and-great-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the spanish moss hanging from the tree in the first villa pic! i always joke to my mom when we're traveling further south that i want to steal some from the trees and put it on our virginia trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures--the colors in the stained glass rotunda are just stunning. It sounds like your weekend was fabulous! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg all of these pictures are GORGEOUS! I'm new to the blogging world and I hope you'll follow:WhatMissLoves

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!