Matchers!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

All the doors in my house will soon be matchers!  Remember somewhere in the blog I said I wanted to go to the architectural salvage and find one more door to replace my hollow core bathroom door (I just spent ten minutes trying to find where I mentioned it and I can't, so just trust me that I said it, 'kay?)?

This door, right here!

Well, Le Poo had to have the same knee surgery Lilly had eleven weeks ago, so I got up around 7:00 to drive with Mom to the orthopedic surgeon an hour away.  We got back around 10:30, so after I stopped off at my house to measure the door, I decided to mosey on over, photo of the door and dimensions in hand, to check things out.  I was prepared to spend about three hours, but not thirty minutes later did I find this beauty:

(She's now resting in my dirty shed - please excuse!)

An exact match in surprisingly good condition!  There are a few good sized holes from the old lockset:


But I don't think it will be too big of an issue to fill the old hole with wood filler and paint over it.  Even if it is, oh well!  Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.  :)



I also took the opportunity to buy one of the Emtek door knobs I mentioned somewhere (probably in the same post as the salvage trip!) from Home Hardware Superstore.  I did a Google search for Emtek Astoria and they popped up as being on sale for $66.78, versus $104 list price/$75 from a local store.  It's a good deal, but not so good as to be "too good to be true."  I think...Here's to hoping.  I paid with PayPal, so if things don't work out, hopefully I won't get completely screwed.  I'll be sure to let y'all know about my experience, in case anyone else is considering buying door knobs and wants a good deal.

The ones I got are basically identical to the one pictured above, but the rosette I order was in "French Antique", which is basically antique brass.  I was torn between antique brass and silver nickel.  On the one hand, silver nickel is a popular finish right now and might be better for resale.  On the other, antique brass was what was originally in the house, and trends come and go.  I ultimately decided on antique brass because it was what I preferred, and I'm trying to stay true to the origins on the house.  Besides, I doubt it will matter too much, as long as all the knobs match throughout.

I'm so excited about having matching doors and can't wait for the door knob to come in!  Keep me posted on anything and everything that's going on it your lives - as always, I'd love to hear about it!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!