Picking from the Poodle Patch?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Corny title, I know, but listen.  Big news!

Ready?
.
.
.
Really ready?
.
.
.
I might be getting another doggie!



I'm so excited!  Her name is Mollie and she's currently living with a foster family here in Capital City.  Here's what the adoption agency says about her:

Approximately 3 years old and 10 pounds, Molly is  spayed, received a dental cleaning, vaccinated including rabies, parasite free, microchipped, heartworm negative, on prevention, on flea/tick prevention and house trained. What a smart girl and the perfect companion. Totally 100% housetrained without a doubt. Dances for you to pick her up, then turn herself around & backs up so you can scoop her up. She also speaks on command and taps the food bowl if it is empty and she needs some chow. This girl is loaded with personality. What a hoot Miss Mollie is.


She sounds totally amazing, right?  Such a perfect friend for Lilly.  I may not have mentioned, but this isn't a spur of the moment thing.  I started thinking about a second dog several months ago and applied with the agency back in August.  I like the idea of adopting a dog every time I buy a dog.  My first dog, Honey, was purchased.  Second dog, Kay, was adopted from the Humane Society.  We got Bear from a breeder near Nearby College Town, and adopted Chloe from one of those Petsmart adopt-a-thons.  I bought Lilly from a breeder about two hours outside Atlanta, and if I got Mollie, the pattern would continue.

I'm going to meet her on Saturday and if I like her and get along with her, Lilly will meet her.  Lilly is, of course, my first priority.  If Lilly doesn't like her, or she doesn't like Lilly, I'll walk away, no matter how much I like her.  I made a commitment to Lilly to put her interests and well-being first.

If Lilly and I both like her, the next stumbling block is my dad.  He's pretty deadset against me getting another dog.  I'm actually terrified of talking to him about it.  I know that he was against me getting Lilly, but he absolutely adores her now.  I expect him to tell me he won't pay for grooming or vet bills, and honestly, if he doesn't, that's okay.  I can budget my funds and afford her.  Here's the thing, though.  As much as my dad and I fight and as mean as we are to each other, we love each other and deep down, he's a really decent guy.  I know that if Mollie is the sort of dog I like and Lilly likes, my dad will come around.  I'll win the war, so to speak, but I'm terrified of the first battle.


I think she might be worth it, though, don't you?  For my friends and followers with multiple dogs, how does it work with you?  Were you as stressed and nervous as I am about the prospect of adding another four-legged member of the family?  Did you have anyone you had to convince?  Let me know; I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I always get a little stressed when I add responsibility to my life. Getting another dog creates more work, but it is totally worth it. If Lilly loves her then you should get her. THey will have so much fun being around each other and playing . I actually do not feel as bad now leaving the pups (like to go to work) because they have each other to play with all day!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!