Making an Old Scanner Work on a New Mac

Friday, December 31, 2010

This is mostly so that I'll remember, but also in case anyone else has a really old (circa 2001) Canon scanner who is too cheap to spend the cash to buy a new one and wants to run in Snow Leopard.

My Computer: 13" MBP, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, 250 GB HDD, running OS 10.6.5.
My Scanner: CanoScan N670U
Running Adobe Photoshop Elements 6

Here's what I did:
1) Don't bother with TWAIN SANE.  It didn't work for me.
2) Go to the Canon website and download the drivers AND the Toolbox.
3) Install the ToolBox.
4) Install the driver here: (Username)/Applications/Canoscan Toolbox 4.1/Plug-ins
5) Open Toolbox from your Applications.
6) Choose Scan1 from the options.
7) Pick your settings.
8) Look to the bottom of the window where it says Link Scanned Image To.
9) The appropriate path to get it to open in Photoshop Elements is: (Username)Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 6/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop Elements 6
10) Click apply.
11) Click scan.
12) Adobe should open automatically, presenting you with your scanned image.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what these words mean, but so glad you got it to work :)

    Happy New Year to you and Lilly!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!