Fun Food Tag!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I have no excuse for just now completing this tag, except that I was tagged during "the hole," as I have dubbed those two weeks where I was eaten by life.  Speaking of eating...The Fun Food tag!  Sweet T at Desperately Seeking Seersucker tagged me for this one, and I am too happy to oblige.  I love food, which is why my diets never go according to plan.  I was a champion dieter in high school.  I lived on Dasani water, salads, and Cheerios, which probably explains why I was tiny in those days.  But (as usual), I digress.  On to the tag!

What is your favorite dessert?
  Cheesecake!  More specifically, my mother's homemade, from-scratch cheesecake.  Yummy!  I have the recipe, and I think I've been assigned the task of making it for this year's Thanksgiving.  Fingers crossed it's as good as hers!
Ever tried to cook something and fail miserably?
Vegetable soup.  Now, I'm sure you're like, "Seriously?  You failed at vegetable soup?"  Yes.  I did.  Horribly.  It was when I was first becoming interested in vegetarianism (I was a vegetarian for about four years, from about 2000 to 2004 - yes, I was a baby).  I had bought a vegetarian cookbook and it had a recipe for vegetable soup.  The only ingredient I can remember is leeks.  Anyway, I get the ingredients and cook it up.  I am so proud of myself.  I take a spoonful and promptly spit it in the sink.  It was disgusting!  My dad came in to sample.  I tried to warn him, to tell him that he didn't need to, that it was nasty.  Champ that he is, he manfully took his own spoonful and even managed to swallow.  He smiled and told me it was good.  I told him he was a liar and then asked for $5 to buy some Chicken McNuggets.
There is some powerful irony somewhere in there.

Is there a dish you haven't made yet but really want to?
 Fried chicken!  I come from a long line of excellent chicken friers.  My granny, the one who lives on the farm, makes some of the juiciest, tenderest, crispiest fried chicken you have ever tasted.  It's perfectly seasoned, just a little salty, and never squishy.  Because I don't care for turkey, every Thanksgiving, she fries me some chicken legs.  It's heaven in bird form.
My mom also fries chicken, but not quite as good as my granny.  Plus, she doesn't like to do it, which I think comes out in the food.  Her chicken is usually just as crispy, but the flavor is off a little.  Not quite salty enough.  Still delicious, of course, but not like Granny's.  My granny is probably the best cook ever.  Seriously.  If she makes it, you can guarantee it will be amazing.

What is your favorite food?

Pasta!  I love it all - spaghetti, tortellini, ravioli, whole wheat, white, spinach...  I'm seriously addicted to carbohydrates.  A few years ago, I tried the Atkins diet and went through carb withdrawal.  I had headaches, I was super bitchy, and I was so tired.  Needless to say, I cracked like a raw egg and was back to my pasta loving self within a few days.


What is your least favorite food?
I know, I know.  Everyone these days loves sushi.  Well, guess what.  I don't.  The first time I had sushi...wow, it was just a terrible experience (and I was informed by my sushi-loving friends that the sushi itself was not terrible).  I took a bite and didn't want to swallow it.  Unfortunately, good manners dictated that I refrain from my impulse of spitting it into my napkin, so I just let it sit there in my mouth.  Five minutes later, my friends noticed I was being exceptionally quiet and asked if I had swallowed the tuna roll.  I shook my head (given that my mouth was full).  They cruelly informed me that I had to swallow, which I did, after a deep breath and with a firm grip on my water glass.

If I were meant to eat fish raw, I would have been born a bear.

Do you have any seasonal meals you like?
In the wintertime, particularly when I have a case of the sniffles, I crave chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich.  That was the meal my mom made me when I was sick when I was a kid, and I guess the habit stuck.  Nothing makes me feel more like a human faster than a hot bowl of Campbell's with a grilled cheese (cut corner to corner, of course!).

What is your comfort food?
 When I'm feeling down in the dumps, I call on my best buddies - Ben and Jerry.  I used to love "From Russia With Buzz", which was a coffee ice cream with flecks of dark chocolate, but it's been discontinued.  Now I like Turtle Soup.

Chocolate: milk, dark or white?
I love it all.  When I'm feeling sophisticated, I reach for the dark chocolate.  When I'm feeling nostalgic, out comes the white (did anyone else get white chocolate bunnies for Easter as a kid?).  When I'm jonesing for a chocolate fix...Hello, milky milk!  I go through phases with chocolate in general though.  Sometimes, all I want is chocolate, and nothing else will do.  Other times, I couldn't care less and would much prefer a Starburst or two.


Thanks, T, that was so much fun and I'm so sorry it took me 5 million years to finish it!  I actually started it November 7th and just now finished it - eep!  Here's the part where I'm supposed to tag other people, but I want anyone who wants to do it to!  Just leave me a comment so I'll be sure to read your responses and learn all about your culinary habits!

2 comments:

  1. This was super cute. :) Sorry that you are missing out on sushi though, such a shame..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun to read this now that I'm actually cooking :) Back when I filled it out, I was still heating up Smart Ones every night for supper! I would totally answer differently now. Funny thing...we really are so much alike! I dislike sushi, LOVE chix noodle soup and pasta, yum, yum, yum....

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!