Such A Grownup

Friday, November 5, 2010

Some days, I feel like I'm still a little kid.  These mostly involve days when I'm poor and have to ask my mom for money so I can pick up Chinese take out.  Other days, I feel like an adult.  Like when I clean my house and pay my credit card bill.  Obviously, I prefer the latter.

One of the grownup things I did since moving into my house was to order and mail out change of address postcards.  A lot of my friends are getting married shortly, and I wanted to be sure that they had my new address for wedding invitations.  ;)  That way, if I don't get one, I know it's because they don't love me.  Just kidding.

With Halloween out of the way and Thanksgiving around the corner, it's time to think about Christmas cards.  I'm one of those people who believes that we should savor each holiday as it comes, rather than always looking forward to the one ahead of it.  I refused to decorate for Halloween in September and I'm refusing to jump ahead to Christmas now.  No decorations until December 1st, which is admittedly difficult.  However, I have to bend my rule just a tiny bit because this year, I'm being a grownup and sending out Christmas cards on my own.  No longer will I be added on to my parents' cards.  No!  I am an adult with my own house and my own Christmas cards!  Cards that reflect my personality and my life, rather than my parents. 

My best friend sent out Christmas cards last year, and they were so precious - pink and green and glittery and so totally her, and therefore me, as we are pretty much identical in taste.  I'm a bit more country, and she's a bit more modern, but it's so close.  I want my cards to be like that - to reflect who I am and where I am in my life (pink glittery fun) - rather than reflect who my parents are (golden, trumpeting angels with fancy script).

Luckily, because where I am in my life is a financially-challenged half-grownup student blogger, Shutterfly has an awesome deal going on for bloggers.  If you have a blog and want 50 free Christmas cards, visit  http://bit.ly/sfly2010.  Totally perfect for someone in my situation!  I first heard about this fabulous offer over at Desperately Seeking Seersucker, so after following the link myself and filling out the form, I spent the next hour or so (okay, fine, two hours) playing with different options while I waited to hear back with the exact instructions.  Shutterfly is really easy to use, especially since I had never tried it before.  Look what I came up with on my first time out:

Option 1 (The second line really is centered; I just whited out our last name, so it looks off.)
I found that one in their Christmas Card stationery section.

Option 2 (Same deal with the centering)
This one is one of those long skinny photo cards.  They have tons of options to choose from, and one of the things I like the best about those is that you can change all the text because it's printed just for you.  If you like a design but want it to say Holidays instead of Christmas or vice versa, you have that option with the photo cards.

Option 3
I love this one because I think the red of Holly Jolly looks so pretty with the red bows in Lilly's ears.  This is another of the pretty stationery cards

Did I mention they have coordinating return address labels?  How cute is this one, for all those Lilly Pulitzer lovers out there?  Check out a similar card!

So hard to choose!  I think I'm leaning toward #2, but #3 is so pretty.  Then again, it's hard to beat the classic black-and-white photo of my pup in #1.  What do you think?  Which are your favorites?  But most importantly, have you signed up yet???

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!