All American

Monday, October 4, 2010

Maybe it's the cooler weather we've been having the last few days, but I've been feeling very Norman Rockwell, All-American.


I live a few blocks from an elementary school, and last Friday, they had their autumn carnival.  One of my neighbors walks his two sons home everyday.  I had been out working in the yard about the time school got out and happened to see them come home.  The younger one raced past his father and brother to their house, exclaiming, "Did you see how fast I ran?"  The father nodded before calling to the older boy, "If you don't beat me home, you don't get to go to the carnival!"  The older boy was faster than greased lightning!

Later that evening, around sunset or maybe a little later, I noticed streams of children and parents flowing down the streets toward the school.  It was one of the first cooler days in autumn, the streetlights were just starting to come on, and it just felt...right.

Since I've moved home, my parents and I have started having Sunday dinner.  My mom cooks a real meal and I drive over and we eat at the kitchen table.  We used to eat dinner at the table every night when I was little, but at some point before high school, we started using TV trays and watching Wheel of Fortune together, which I guess could be its own form of Americana.  Despite this, it's nice to sit down and eat together at the table.  It's different, without the distractions and the noise.


Our dinner wasn't quite as impressive, but still pretty darn!  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, steamed broccoli, and fresh, flaky biscuits.  Mmm!

While I was waiting for my mom to call me to let me know when to come over to eat, I was playing a video game doing homework, someone knocked at my door.  I was a little startled, but when I saw this little boy's face peering through the glass at me, I answered. 


It was a Boy Scout!  I'm guessing he just moved into the proper Boy Scout troop, because he kept messing up and calling it a "den" before correcting himself.  I was so excited and tickled that I had a real, live Boy Scout at my door, selling me popcorn, that I got caught up in the moment and wrote a $40 check.  Can I afford the $40 popcorn?  Technically, yes.  I will not starve (especially if that popcorn comes soon, haha!).  Would I have purchased that much if I'd not been so flustered and excited?  Probably not, but I'm pretty sure I made that kid's day, and even if I didn't, I'm going to tell myself so.

Anyone else feeling particularly American these days?  I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh....LOVE Norman Rockwell! I have a book of all of his works in my dining room. Nothing makes me happier than changing the page that it's open to as the seasons change. Isn't that lame? But I love it so :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!