Come Fly With Me, Let's Fly Away!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Being the idiot that I am, I decided to go home for Spring Break my senior year of college instead of boogeying down to DisneyWorld with my amies.  Nor did I go anywhere over the summer.  I know, I'm super boring these days.  What I lacked in vacation in the first 3/4 of 2010 I'm making up for in the last 1/4 and I'm already planning all sorts of delightful adventures for the future.

1) Trip to DC to visit my sweet ex-roomie!  Booked the flight this evening!
2) Trip to Baton Rogue to visit my bff.  Booked the flight a month or so ago, but unfortunately we're having to reschedule, so I canceled the flight this afternoon.
3) Therefore, I will most definitely be flying Continental when I go to Morgan's wedding in January 2012, although by that time it won't be Continental, it will be United (with Continental's logo).  Ah, mergers.

I seem to be doing a large amount of Delta flying these days, so I decided I ought to look up my SkyMiles number.  I lost that sucker ages ago, but the friendly Bindi at Delta looked it up for me and got me all squared away.

I also discovered that the ladies of the local UDC chapter actually went to the nearby county where my grandparents' marriage certificate is filed and found it for me and finished my application, which was approved August 18th.  It's going to be presented to me October 6th.  I have mixed feelings about joining, mostly because I worry about the sort of message it might send to people who aren't brave enough to ask me about my reasons for joining.  That being said, I don't think I should not do something I want to do simply because I'm worried about what people might think or say.

I know who I am, and at the end of the day, I'm the one who has to sleep with my choices.

2 comments:

  1. Do tell love...why have you joined? I simply did because all of the women in my family have. The same with the DAR. It's just something that's done. I certainly have pride in the sacrifices my family made, fighting for what they believed in. Although my current beliefs may not coincide with their beliefs 100%, I accept who I am and where I'm from :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm actually really glad somebody asked. I thought about including my reasoning in my post but I didn't want to make it a long, long post. Instead, I'll make it a long, long response!

    Unlike you, I'm the first to actually get all the proof required, though there are several amateur genealogists on my mom's side of the family whose research laid the groundwork for my own. For me, joining the UDC was a form of validation for my 8+ years of research (yeah, I was a nerdy preteen in the genealogical section of my main library). I'm very goal oriented, so before I really even knew what the UDC was and only had old family lore to suggest I might be eligible for membership, I decided it would be my goal to do the legwork and find the proof. Once I had it, I felt almost obligated to follow through with my plans.

    In addition, my immediate family is really small. My grandparents have two grandchildren, and I'm the only one likely to have children, so I feel this burden to carry on the family legacy. It's up to me to keep my family history alive. By joining genealogical societies and making my research a part of their archives, I believe I'm doing just that.

    I also enjoy interacting with people who have different viewpoints. I'll admit, when one of the member's husbands made a racist joke, I was really uncomfortable, and it was only at that point that I really began to question the sort of organization I was joining. But I also recognize that, as a member of a much younger generation, I have the opportunity to challenge the perception of those like me, who are from traditional Southern families and who aren't ashamed of their heritage but who also have the benefit of greater interaction with people of different social and economic backgrounds than those of older generations. Yes, I may be a member of the UDC, but I'm also a Democrat who cast her first vote for president for Barack Obama. I'm part of the new South, I think, a South that can combine the best qualities of her past to create a new culture, one of acceptance and gentility where different viewpoints are welcomed with grace and politeness and openly debated.

    I'd love, one day, to put together a genealogical monograph. In doing so, I think it would be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge all parts of my past, controversial or not. Like Popeye said, "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!