Mad Accounting

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I know I already blogged today, but I just got some really fantastic news.  I made a profit this semester by going to law school.  According to a 2009 article in Forbes magazine, "The average law grad owes $100,000 in student debt."  Yet I, lucky lucky being that I am, have a $731.65 check arriving at my door for the sheer reason that I am attending law school this semester.  My total scholarship award for this semester was greater than the actual cost of attendance, so they're sending me a check for the difference.  Hot damn.

Now, if you want to be a downer about it, you could point out that my parents are still coming out in the red - they pay for my rent, my utilities, my textbooks, my food, my clothing, etc.  However, I like to think of it as they already agreed to pay for this stuff anyway, so a) they're not paying as much as they would be if I didn't have a scholarship, and b) if I give the money to them, they'll be paying even less than they would if they'd thought, so to me, that means profit!

Clearly my degree was not in accounting, but it sure puts me in a good mood.  The greedy side of me really wants to keep it, but the ethical side of me thinks I should give the check to them.  I've offered it to them to assuage my guilt, but I'm pretty sure they're going to let me keep it.  Eee!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!