Armed and Dangerous

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am a gunowner.  About two months ago, I asked my father the Republican for one (instead of my mother the Democrat), and about a month after that, we went and bought one.  What I really wanted was my grandmother's 1971 Colt Cobra.  Super cute (as far as guns go) and let's be honest, the 79-year-old with MS doesn't need to be keeping a gun around.  However, the Poppers deemed that gun too nice for me (gee, thanks), so we went to a local hunting store that boasts guns galore, as well as several, slightly disturbing stuffed animals.  Take, for instance, the raccoon who had been stuffed in such a way as to allow him hold business cards in his outstretched palms.  Yeah...

Anyway, the firearm I exited with was the Ruger LCR .38 Special.

I went with a hammerless model, despite my initial preference for a single action, on the advice of the salesman.  He mentioned that should I ever want to get a carry permit, a hammerless model wouldn't be accidentally cocked in my purse like a single action revolver might.  At present, I'm not interested in a carry permit, but I don't want to rule anything out, especially when guns cost $600+ and I certainly don't want to have to replace it, just because I change my mind in the future.

Was it scary at first to know that I had a gun in my house?  A little.  Now that the scary has worn off, do I feel safer, knowing that if anyone ever breaks into my house, I'll at least stand a chance?  Absolutely.  Even though I live in a nice neighborhood, I still worry.  Not very long ago a high profile murder took place not even two miles from my house, and it wasn't one a lovers' quarrel or anything.  She didn't even know him.

It's a tough world out there, kiddos, so if you can, why not be prepared?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!