I may be grounded, but my house is not.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Okay, cheesy title, but I'm tired. Cut me some slack. Since I'd been having so many issues with my cable and internet, I had Comcast send someone out to check what was going on. I mentioned to the CSR that the house was built in 1945 and that I was concerned perhaps some wires were corroded or just old and needed to be replaced, etc. They scheduled someone to come out and take a look. I was at work, so Mom came by. The service guy poked around a bit and then spent 15 minutes explaining to my mom what was going on with the house. Basically, the house isn't grounded, and there is, therefore, too much electricity running through the house. This screws with the cable, because I'm getting feedback or something. I don't totally get it, but what it boils down to is that I need an electrician out. Super.

This site talks about grounding and electricity. Maybe one of y'all can make heads or tails of it.
Poor or No Electrical Ground
The site confuses me, though, because I thought my mom told me that the house had been rewired to enable me to install central heat and air at some point in the future?

2 comments:

  1. Grounding basically means setting up your electrical so that there's no chance of a power surge, which is too much voltage or electricity running through the circuit. An ungrounded house is at risk for fires, electric shocks, damaged electronics, etc.

    I'd recommend finding a good electrician who won't work you over. Grounding the circuit can be an easy fix, but it's important.

    (All this is thanks to my dad, the electrician, and my Energy Concepts class in college! Also, love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. At least we're getting it fixed by the same people who moved the outside breaker box (as my parents think the house used to be grounded, but when they moved the breaker box, the electrician forgot to reground it). Or something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I'd love to hear your thoughts!